Thursday, August 28, 2008

McCain Plays the POW Card Time and Time Again

Okay, so if Obama and the Democrats can be accused of playing the so-called "race card" every time we point out that the Obama campaign is subject to a lot of racial prejudice, why can't Democrats point out that McCain plays the POW card? Every time someone brings up a point that McCain doesn't want to answer, he says, in effect, "hey, that doesn't matter, because I was a POW."

Questions about the economy, his answe is that "I was a POW."
Questions about his fidelity to his first wife, his answer is that "I was a POW."
Questions about his support of Bush in the Senate, his answer is that "I was a POW."
Questions about his owning 7, or 8, or 11, or whatever number and how that reflects on his ability to understand the problems of ordinary Americans, his answer is that "I was a POW."

An example of this was seen in an interview with a Pittsburgh radio station on whether he is out of touch with the economic problems of working families:

McCain: Well you know I have town hall meetings all the time, everywhere across this country, and I hear from people....
And in all due respect my friends, I know what it's like to not have a house, I know what it's like not to have a kitchen table. I know what it's like not to have a table or a chair. For five and a half years, I sat in a cell with nothing but concrete floor and three boards to sleep on.


The question is not why McCain does it, that answer is obvious. He does it because as Talking Points Memo points out, he doesn't want this election to be about policies, he wants it to be about character. Not just character, but character as defined by McCain.

The real question is why the media lets him get away with this stuff. When is some journalist going to stand up and ask him just what in the hell being a POW has to do with the economy and his policies?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can understand why he confessed to war crimes- he was a POW and he was being tortured.
I can understand why he doesn't emphasize his belief that his life was only spared because of his famous and important father- It doesn't take away from the fact that he was a POW and he was tortured.

I can even understand why he is so quick to anger and almost as quick to suggest military action regardless of the situation- He was a POW and he was tortured.

And if I stretch really really hard I can even see why some people want to excuse his infidelity and casual arrogance regarding wealth as lingering aftereffects of the torture he was subjected to as a POW.

But you know, if four years from now the economy is deeper into recession, and our military is stretched thinner and wider across the world, and more people are slipping into poverty, and our former allies are more concerned with insulating themselves than working with us, it won't be because John McCain was a POW and he was tortured. It will be because we voted for him. What'll our excuse be?