Monday, March 26, 2007

Why Katie Couric Went After John & Elizabeth Edwards

If you click on the link in this entry's title you can read one of entries on blogs today attacking Katic Couric for her questions of John and Elizabeth Edwards on 60 Minutes. Many such commentators are wondering why she chose the questions she did, why she was so negative in her approach, and why she chose to hide between such questions as "some people say" or "other people say." Many of these same commentators are arguing that Katie Couric is a person who just reflects Republican talking points or that she is an example of the cluelessness of modern day journalists, especially those on television.

Our take is a little different. We think that Ms. Couric knew exactly what she was doing and that was trying to torpedo the candidacy of a populist Democrat. Why would she want to do that? Katie Couric makes a lot of money. She has benefitted from George W.'s reckless tax cuts. She doesn't want her taxes to increase. A Democrat like Edwards, who is pushing an agenda that would benefit the middle and working classes is more likely to increase Katie's taxes. If you want to know why millionaire journalists and pundits parrot Republican talking points, just follow the money, honey.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Honestly? I just think she's stinky. I have never liked her, never respected her journalism and thought she was worthless as an interviewer last night. As I said to my husband, and I don't like to say much about myself, I really think I could have done a better job. :) And I know my teen age son could have.

Team Member said...

Well, yes, I think you could have done better too, but I still think that this class of pundits/journalists have an economic agenda that they are advancing.